[Haskell-cafe] What ever happened to Haskell 98 as a "stable branch"?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sun Mar 25 00:13:01 EDT 2007

Upon more reflection...

>From the Preface to the Haskell 98 Language and Libraries Report:

> Haskell 98 was conceived as a relatively minor tidy-up of Haskell
> 1.4, making some simplifications, and removing some pitfalls for the
> unwary. It is intended to be a "stable" language in sense the
> implementors are committed to supporting Haskell 98 exactly as
> specified, for the foreseeable future.

In other words, we already have a stable branch of Haskell.

Why, then, are we so paranoid about introducing breaking changes in
the development branch of haskell?  Why are we stuck without the class
system extension proposal?  Why is Num so still so horribly mangled?
Why can I not 'map' over a Set?  Why must I use lists of characters if
I desire standard sorting?  Why can I not get a good error message
from read?

(If you answer "because H98 is obsolete", then file this away as a
must-read after H' is released.)

Stefan