[Haskell-cafe] XML Validation and Digestion in Haskell

Arun Suresh arun.suresh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 04:34:48 EDT 2007

Hi..

I am currently working on a project where basically we do a lot of XML
validation and digestion. For example :
We recieve an XML document A, if the document passes schema validation, we
do some business level validations, then from A, we create XML digests B, C
and D.
Our code-base is written completely in Java. We had earlier tried using
XSLT, but it became too unwieldy to manage (we ended up making calls to
other Java classes from the XSLT engine)

The problem we are facing right now is that we have huge hierarchies of
Validators, Digestors and Contexts. It just doesnt look right. I just cant
help but wonder if theres a better way of doing this...

I have been trying to get my hands dirty with Haskell for a couplo weeks
now. all the while keeping the problem at hand in the back of my mind.. I
just dont seem to be see how applying functional programming concepts can
help in this scenario.. Was wondering if somebody could probably give me
some pointers..

Regards
Arun