[Haskell-cafe] Haskell beginner

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:15:09 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, arnuld <geek.arnuld at gmail.com> wrote:
> i want to start learning Haskell and willing to master it :-)  i have
> done some Common Lisp from http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/. so i know
> what are functions, variables, etc. BUT i have never done any real
> life programmming or any kind of software development.
>
> in my country no Haskell books are available :-( , hence i can only
> use online Tutorials. my main purpose is to learn real-life
> programming by contributing some "Haskell coding" to a GPLed Software
> written using Haskell.
>
> i have found "Yet Another Haskell Tutorial" after searching the archives.
>
> is it really a good idea to learn Haskell using only Online material ?
> (when one does not have any offline resources)

Hang out in #haskell in IRC (freenode). That's probably the best
resource you'll ever find when learning Haskell.

So here's the strategy:
1. Read tutorials
2. When you get stuck, ask on #haskell
3. Goto 1

(yes I deliberately wrote an imperative algorithm using gotos to
describe how to learn Haskell, and I found it amusing)

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655