[Haskell-cafe] Maybe and partial functions

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Tue Mar 13 01:40:31 EDT 2007

Dougal Stanton wrote:
> The Maybe construction is very useful for explicitly handling
> circumstances where the function cannot produce a sensible answer.
>
> But how far should this notion be taken? When you're writing a function
> which you realise may not produce what you want, in what circumstances
> would you use a Maybe, and when would you just throw an error?

It seems that if I cannot foresee how the function will be used, I need
to be very general. Following the convention of Data.Map.lookup, I will
use a Monad or MonadZero or MonadError. Perhaps even an ArrowZero.

Every function is used in two circumstances. One circumstance is
front-line code, where nobody is trusted and every invalid call is
caught and handled. This is best done as above. Another circumstance is
core code, where all data have been screened by the front-line code and
there is no point repeating checks and handlers again and again and
again. (How many times do you have to re-validate data? Take it to the
extreme: If the code binds [0] to xs, do you have to check "not (null
xs)" every alternate line of code? Every extra check and its associated
Maybe or Monad type clutters up code, and after a threshold introduces
risk of logical errors rather than reduces risk of data errors.) For
core code, I may provide an unchecked version of my function, in case
"just use the identity monad" is easier said than done. (It may still
throw an error, if it is impossible to avoid a check linguistically,
e.g., pattern matching, but at least there is no clutter from handlers
or extra types, e.g., head, foldr1, etc.)