[Haskell-cafe] LGPL libraries

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:00:38 EST 2007

Hi

>      Gtk2Hs and HDBC are both LGPL licensed, but aren't they always
> static linked? Is there a way to use them in closed-source programs?

If you are concerned about static linking, Yhc may offer a solution,
since it produces bytecode files, which don't statically link to
anything. Of course, it doesn't support either of the above libraries,
but if avoiding static links to your number one priority its the best
compiler to use :)

As others have said though, I wouldn't worry overly about it. The
whole concept of static linking being wrong, but dynamic linking being
fine, when you can flip between the modes just by changing compiler,
is just silly. You don't infringe (or uninfringe) copyright with a
command line flag.

Thanks

Neil