[Haskell-cafe] LGPL libraries

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Mon Mar 5 18:31:05 EST 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:07:05PM -0300, Alex Queiroz wrote:
> Hallo,
>
>     Gtk2Hs and HDBC are both LGPL licensed, but aren't they always
> static linked? Is there a way to use them in closed-source programs?

This is not the FSF, and most of us don't buy into the FSF's theories
on static linking.  Of course, if you want any kind of assurances,
you'll have to contact Duncan Coutts directly (for Gtk2Hs, I dunno who
for HDBC).

(And the FSF's control over Gtk+ itself is irrelevant since while GHC
can only statically link haskell code, it CAN dynamically link FFI
libraries.)

Stefan