[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HSH 1.2.0

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Sat Mar 3 16:49:44 EST 2007

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 05:06:16PM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 03/03/07, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> >I'm pleased to announce HSH 1.2.0.  Since version 1.0.0 was announced a
> >few days ago, there have been some improvements:
>
> I've had a little look, and it looks nice. However, as a mainly
> Windows user, I'd be interested to know - does it work on Windows
> (alternatively, is portability to Windows a goal)? It might be worth
> mentioning up front, if it's Unix-only.

Presently, it is Unix-only, though it likely would run fine under
Cygwin.  I am not yet sure if the new System.Process is powerful
enough for this.  Upon initial examination, I believe that it is not
because it lacks support for pipes.

I don't know how Windows shells deal with piping, or even if they
can.  All I know is that DOS used to simulate it with temporary files,
lacking any real multitasking.

-- John