[Haskell-cafe] Re: OO Design in Haskell

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:51:15 EST 2007

Hi

> forgive my ignorance but I thought functional programming was a
> mathematically sound framework unlike Object Oriented programming.

Referentially transparent is a better term than mathematically sound
here. This is the property that x = y means that instances of x can be
replaced with y.

> Isn't using Haskell for OOP kind of defeating the whole object?

It is defeating the point of expressing programs in a beautiful way,
but if you are building it on top of Haskell, without going to things
like unsafePerformIO, then you still end up with a referentially
transparent framework.

Thanks

Neil