[Haskell-cafe] Preferred way to get data from a socket

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 03:27:49 EDT 2007

Hello Donald,

Wednesday, June 27, 2007, 6:37:07 AM, you wrote:

>> I also know Bulat Ziganshin had put together a nice-looking Streams
>> library (http://unix.freshmeat.net/projects/streams/) based on John
>> Goerzen's previous HVIO work, but I wasn't sure if the ByteString
>> stuff matches the speed and encapsulates all of the functionality of
>> that anyway. Or can/should they be used together somehow?

> Should be similar in speed, and most high-perf stuff seems to use
> ByteStrings now. ByteStrings also have some nice high level
> optimisations not available to lower level libraries.

i recommend you to try ByteString own i/o capabilities at first. if it
will not satisfy you, you can try Streams 0.2 which supports
ByteString i/o:

http://www.haskell.org/library/StreamsBeta.tar.gz

using my library should allow 30-50 mb/s i/o speed but its
installation may be tricky since it was not updated over a year

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com