[Haskell-cafe] runInteractiveProcess leaks memory, runInteractiveCommand does not

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Mon Jun 25 15:20:44 EDT 2007

Hi,

after many test I found out that System.Process.runInteractiveProcess
leaks memory while runInteractiveCommand does.

The issue of memory leaks related to running external program was
raised here:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-June/027234.html
and Bryan noted that after a while the process hits a steady state:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-June/027278.html

This is true for runInteractiveCommand, but not for
runInceractiveProcess, even though, both relay on the same foreign C
imported function.

I think this is a ghc bug, but before reporting it I'd like to have
someone to confirm it.

I wrote this code that demonstrate my point. Could you please have a
look?

Thanks for you kind attention.

Andrea

here's the code.:

module Main where

import System.Process
import System.Posix.IO
import System.IO
import Control.Concurrent

readOutput rh =
    do str <- hGetLine rh
       return str

runWith c f =
 do (i,o,e,p) <- f c
    exit <- waitForProcess p
    str <- readOutput o
    putStrLn str
    cHandles i o e
    threadDelay $ 100000 * 1
    runWith c f

runRunIntProcess c =
    do (inp,out,err,p) <- runInteractiveProcess c [] Nothing Nothing
       return (inp,out,err,p)

runRunIntCommand c =
    do (inp,out,err,p) <- runInteractiveCommand c
       return (inp,out,err,p)

cHandles i o e =
    do hClose i
       hClose o
       hClose e

-- this does not leaks
-- this reaches a steady state after a while:
--virt
--5528 3404  668 S  6.6  0.7  13:07.48 procRunInComm

main = runWith "date" runRunIntProcess

-- this keep on growing
--10548 8436  676 S  8.6  1.6  13:15.24 procRunInProc

main' = runWith "date" runRunIntCommand