[Haskell-cafe] Practical Haskell question.

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 05:29:24 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:58:16AM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:29:14AM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> > > Imagine all performActions contain their checks somehow. Let
> > > performActionB take an argument.

> > > Now performActionB and its included check depend on x. That is, the check
> > > relies formally on the result of performActionA and thus check B must be
> > > performed after performActionA.
> >
> > IIUC, this limitation of Monads was one of the reasons why John Hughes
> > introduced the new Arrow abstraction.
>
> How would this problem be solved using Arrows?

Maybe it wouldn't. What I should say is that in a Monad the entire
computation after "x <- performActionA" depends on x, even if it doesn't
use it immediately. Let's expand the do-notation (for the earlier
example):

    performActionA >>= \x ->
        performActionB >>= \y ->
            performActionC >>= \z ->
                return (calculateStuff x y z)

If you wanted to analyze the computation without executing it, you would
start at the top-level bind operator (>>=).

    performActionA >>= f

and you would find it impossible to examine f without supplying it some
argument. As a function, f is a black box.

With Arrows it could be possible to inspect the structure of the
computation without executing it, but it might be impossible to write
some kinds of checks.

Anyway, I have little experience with Arrows, so I can be wrong, and
surely someone can explain it better.

Best regards
Tomek