[Haskell-cafe] Need for speed: the Burrows-Wheeler Transform

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 23 08:02:54 EDT 2007

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
> Saturday, June 23, 2007, 2:45:01 PM, you wrote:
>> Hey, I'm just glad I managed to get within striking distance of Mr C++.
>> So much for Haskell being "inherently less performant". :-P
> my little analysis says that it's probably due to different sort()
> implementations, so this says nothing about general case

The point being that lots of people look at Haskell and go "oh, that's
very cute for writing trivial example code, but it can never be fast;
for that you must use C or C++".

Well, I altered the code, and it's *still* very short and very readable,
and it's just as fast as the (3 pages long) C++ version. >:-D