[Haskell-cafe] Best idiom for avoiding Defaulting warnings with ghc -Wall -Werror ??

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Jun 22 17:46:53 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:34:09PM -0700, Dave Bayer wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2007, at 11:42 AM, David Roundy wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:37:15AM -0700, Dave Bayer wrote:
> >>GHC issues a "Warning: Defaulting the following constraint(s) to type
> >>`Int'" for the definition of z.
> >
> >Why don't you just use -fno-warn-type-defaults?
> >ghc -Werr -Wall is a often good idea, but if you prefer a different
> >programming style (e.g. no top-level type declarations required),
> >ghc gives
> >you the flexibility to do that.
>
> To be precise, I __PREFER__ a "ghc  -Wall -Werror" programming style.
> In particular, I always want defaulting errors, because sometimes I
> miss the fact that numbers I can count on my fingers are defaulting
> to Integer.
>
> Once I explicitly declare "default (Int)", I want "ghc  -Wall -
> Werror" to shut up, unless this defaulting rule never gets used.
> Instead, it complains anyways when the defaulting takes place that
> I've just declared I know about. In other words, I want warnings
> involving "default" to follow the same logic currently used for
> warnings involving "import".

I see, that makes sense.  And I have no idea that would help you.

> This is a bug. I want "ghc  -Wall -Werror" to be a practical choice,
> left on all the time, and in my example I had to work too hard to
> avoid the warning. Other people just wouldn't use "ghc  -Wall -
> Werror", the way some people won't use seat belts, and the way some
> people view any strongly typed language as a cumbersome seat belt. If
> we tolerate ridiculously arcane syntax to handle these situations, we
> fully deserve to be marginalized while Ruby takes over the world.
>
> In other words, I'm disputing that the top-level declarations are in
> fact required. GHC can be trivially modified to allow Haskell to
> handle this situation far more elegantly.

I think of top-level type declarations as type-checked comments, rather
than a seat-belt.  It forces you to communicate to others what a function
does, if that function may be used elsewhere.  I like this.  Although it can
be cumbersome for quick and dirty code, developers trying to read your code
will thank you for it (unless you make *everything* top-level, which is
just poor coding style).

-Wall -Werror isn't a seat belt, it's a coding-style guideline.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics