[Haskell-cafe] Need for speed: the Burrows-Wheeler Transform

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Fri Jun 22 17:29:51 EDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Woah... What the hell? I just switched to Data.ByteString.Lazy and WHAM! Vast
> speed increases... Jeepers, I can transform 52 KB so fast I can't even get to
> Task Manager fast enough to *check* the RAM usage! Blimey...
>
> OK, just tried the 145 KB test file that Mr C++ used. That took 2 seconds + 43
> MB RAM. Ouch.

A note re RAM usage: it behaves differently in a GCed environment, you
might want to see if it runs with a smaller max heap size. Obviously
you'll spend more time GCing.

flippa at flippac.org

"My religion says so" explains your beliefs. But it doesn't explain
why I should hold them as well, let alone be restricted by them.