[Haskell-cafe] To yi or not to yi, is this really the question? A plea for a cooperative, ubiquitous, distributed integrated development system.

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at invescoperpetual.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 05:27:41 EDT 2007

> [mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Tomasz Zielonka
>
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 10:05:40PM +0100, Pasqualino
> 'Titto' Assini wrote:
> > > Most languages, even Java, have a reflection capability
> to dynamically
> > > inspect an object.
> >
> > > It is surprising that Haskell doesn't offer it.
>
> I'll just add that I've never consciously used reflection, so
> I probably
> overlook some features of Haskell that give a part of reflection
> functionality.

On the surface, Haskell would appear to not offer reflection. However,
you can get quite a long way with Data.Generics and Data.Dynamic, and
deriving (Typeable, Data), which will give you introspection of data
types. Here's a nice little article on using deriving Data:

http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/haskell-web.html

And the hs-plugins library will give you dynamic loading, but I don't
think there's any introspection capability (yet?)

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is