[Haskell-cafe] Re: To yi or not to yi, is this really the question? A plea for a cooperative, ubiquitous, distributed integrated development system.

Tom Schrijvers Tom.Schrijvers at cs.kuleuven.be
Thu Jun 21 03:59:42 EDT 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Pasqualino 'Titto' Assini wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> But, doesn't this simply mean that the correct signature would be:
>
> serialize :: (Int -> Int) -> IO String
>
> to take in account the fact that serialise really use  'external' information
> that is not in the domain of pure Haskell functions?

I'm afraid not. The beauty of the IO monad is that it permits
equational reasoning over I/O operations. E.g. because of the definition

 	print = putStrLn . show

the compiler can freely inline calls to print. Although there's I/O
involved, equational reasoning is still valid: the inlined call will
behave in the same way as the original code. Hence, the compiler does not
have to be aware of IO and treat it in a different way.

Your serialize function does not have that property. You don't want its
argument to be inlined or otherwise replaced with an equivalent
expression.

Tom