[Haskell-cafe] haskell crypto is reaaaaaaaaaally slow

Anatoly Yakovenko aeyakovenko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:11:13 EDT 2007

I don't think the problem with performance of crypto has anything to
do with unpacking ByteStrings. If I unpack the bytestrings first, then
run the hash, and just time the hash algorithm, i still get 4 seconds
with crypto where the C implementation gives me 0.02 seconds.  Thats
200 times slower in haskell, to me it just seems like a bad
implementation.  You should be able to stay within an order of
magnitude from C with haskell without resorting to weird compiler
tricks.

Anatoly