[Haskell-cafe] Perl-style numeric type

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 07:18:58 EDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> Do you have some examples, where such a data type is really superior to
> strong typing? There are examples like computing the average, where a
> natural number must be converted to a different type:
>   average xs = sum xs / fromIntegral (length xs)
> but this one can easily replaced by
>   average xs = sum xs / genericLength xs
>
> Thus, before you spend much time on making Haskell closer to Perl, how
> about collecting such examples, work out ways how to solve them elegantly
> in the presence of strong typing and set up a wiki page explaining how to
> work with strongly typed numbers? I think, this topic really belongs to
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Category:FAQ
> Strongly typed numbers are there for good reason: There is not one type
> that can emulate the others. Floating point numbers are imprecise, a/b*b=a
> does not hold in general. Rationals are precise but pi and sqrt 2 are not
> rational. People have designed languages again and again which ignore
> this, and they failed. See e.g. MatLab which emulates an integer (and even
> a boolean value) by a complex valued 1x1 matrix.

That's a good idea too, perhaps I will do that.  This would be a good thing
to have on the wiki since it's clearly an issue that people learning Haskell
struggle with (I certainly did).  I also want to make clear, though, that I
certainly appreciate the reasons for strongly typed numbers.  I am not
trying to make Haskell closer to Perl in general (God forbid!), or in any
way advocate for doing away with strongly typed numbers, but only to create
a library for working more conveniently with numeric types in small programs
where the typing is not as important.  To give a couple quick examples,
based on what I have already implemented:

*EasyNum> 1 / 3
0.3333333333333333
*EasyNum> 1 / 3 :: EasyNum
1/3
*EasyNum> 1 / floor pi

<interactive>:1:4:
    Ambiguous type variable `t' in the constraints:
      `Integral t' arising from use of `floor' at <interactive>:1:4-11
      `Fractional t' arising from use of `/' at <interactive>:1:0-11
    Probable fix: add a type signature that fixes these type variable(s)
*EasyNum> 1 / floor pi :: EasyNum
1/3

I would have also put in the example of 1 / pi :: EasyNum and show it
printing out a double value instead of the rational it prints with 1 / 3,
except I haven't yet implemented the instance of Floating. =)

-Brent