[Haskell-cafe] OS design & FP aesthetics

Thomas Conway drtomc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:01:57 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Creighton Hogg <wchogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I remember seeing an example of this before , but I'm not sure if I
> see what language based security Haskell's type system could provide in
> protecting address spaces from each other.  Normally I've seen capabilities
> used so that you can't access anything you can't name.  Can you elaborate a
> little?

Nothing new here. Haskell might be more elegant than some of the
earlier proposals, but the idea is old. FWIW, my PhD supervisor,
Zoltan Somogyi did his PhD thesis on exactly such a scheme, using
logic programming, rather than lazy functional programming. I'm not
sure if the thesis itself is online.

cheers,
T.
--
Dr Thomas Conway
drtomc at gmail.com

Silence is the perfectest herald of joy:
I were but little happy, if I could say how much.