[Haskell-cafe] OS design & FP aesthetics

Jaap Weel jaapweel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:42:12 EDT 2007

> > > Well, since we're on the subject and it's only the Cafe list, what is
> > > it that you find messy about Linux that you would want to be solved by
> > > some hypothetical Haskell OS?

The hypothetical Haskell OS, especially if it were targeted toward 64
bit machines, could keep processes from messing with each other by way
of language based security, and run them all in a single memory
space. (The first system to do this, I believe, was the MULTIPOP
timesharing system, but there are other precedents, too.) This would
eliminate or simplify lots of context switches and buffer copies and
memory management and other nastiness that now goes into kernels.

   /jaap