[Haskell-cafe] yi or not to yi was: IDE?

Creighton Hogg wchogg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:40:14 EDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Pasqualino 'Titto' Assini wrote:
> > I think that we should not underestimate the transforming power of
> dogged
> > determination.
> >
> > Think of Linux: only a terminal idiot could have conceived the plan of
> writing
> > from scratch a clone of a 20 years old operating system (Unix) when
> everybody
> > knew that momentum was on the side of the weaker solution (Microsoft) in
> the
> > PC market and on the many existing commercial Unix versions in the
> > professional market.
> >
> > Well, we all know what that stupid idea has led to. I certainly do, as I
> am
> > writing this message under Linux.
> >

> That reminds me... Somebody should write an *OS* in Haskell! :-D
>
> If that happened, then maybe at last I'd be able to have a choice other
> than M$ Windows (with all it's well-documented faults), and Unix (with
> its legendary unfriendliness and unecessary complexity).
>
> OTOH... how the heck do you write an operating system in a language that
> doesn't even support I/O? :-S

Well, there hasn't been a lot of work done on the subject but you probably
should look at
http://programatica.cs.pdx.edu/House/
Now if you're seriously asking how one would do it, the basic approach taken
in the paper was to create a monad H that was a controlled subset of IO &
that did all the fundamental interactions with the the hardware.  The
operations of H, as with IO, have to be primitives in the runtime that
you're using and probably written in C or assembly.