[Haskell-cafe] IDE?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 18 05:46:22 EDT 2007

| L-System using HOpenGL), from what I've read Haskell is indeed much better than typical OO
| languages... So it *deserves* an easy entry level IDE that will get many many more people started with
| it.

I think you are right about that.  Still, I hope this problem may in time fix itself: the Haskell community will grow to the point where there enough people like you who *want* such an IDE, that among their ranks will be some who feel able to *build* it.  (I quite understand that you do not.)  The Haskell community has historically been somewhat oriented towards emacs and Unix, but if Haskell is to succeed in becoming more of a mainstream language, it need to jump the cultural gap over to the (much larger) IDE and Windows community.

Presumably Visual Studio or Eclipse are the right places to start, and there are prototype Haskell IDEs for both, even if they are not ready for production use.

plenty of opportunities here!

Simon