[Haskell-cafe] IDE?

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 18 02:42:52 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 12:23:52PM +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:

> I'm using Emacs.  It gives me a text window, like any other editor
> window (except where it's different) when I go to the horribly kludgy,
> not-at-all-integrated-with-the-desktop-theme file menu.  In fact it's
> even worse.  I go File->Open File... and it gives me ... a prompt in a
> little command window at the bottom of the editing screen asking me for
> the file name.

this offtopic thread is getting stale. thousands of good coders use
emacs every day and are very satisfied with it.

if the ui bothers you that much, initiate emacs with -nw and add these
lines to your .emacs file:

(if (fboundp 'scroll-bar-mode) (scroll-bar-mode -1))
(if (fboundp 'tool-bar-mode) (tool-bar-mode -1))
(if (fboundp 'menu-bar-mode) (menu-bar-mode -1))

and it will look and act like a console app. you won't be tempted to
use your mouse because there will be nothing to click on. if you still
don't like that, well maybe emacs is not for you.