[Haskell-cafe] IDE?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 17 16:52:13 EDT 2007

David House wrote:
> Andrew Coppin writes:
>
>  > It's a text-mode editor.
>
> With graphical support.

Really? When did that happen?

(And if it's now graphical, can you really still call it "Emacs"? I
mean, if you write a GUI application that does what sed does, would it
still be "sed"?)

>  >  quod erat demonstrandum.
>
> Please don't be so quick to jump to conclusions like that.

You make it sound as if I haven't tried this stuff...

>  > or an interactive debugger,
>
> As previously mentioned, debugging in Haskell hasn't really reached maturity
> yet,

Yeah, pitty that... (Again, I was going to try compiling HEAD to play
with this - and then I realised you need Linux to do it, so I haven't
got round to it yet.)

>  > or any of those other features that require a GUI.
>
> Perhaps you ought to revise your opinions on what constitutes a GUI.

Well, part 1 would be being *graphical*. I really have no time for ugly
cryptic ASCII art "graphical" UIs... I just like being able to *see*
what's happening. Is that too much to ask?