[Haskell-cafe] Re: practicality of typeful programming

oleg at pobox.com oleg at pobox.com
Sat Jun 16 03:42:05 EDT 2007

Daniil Elovkov wrote:
> I've recently asked some questions here about some little type hackery
> implementing an embedded dsl. But now I wonder if it's worth the
> effort at all...

Yes it is. Typed embedded DSL are quite useful and widely used. For
example, Lava (high-level hardware description language) uses phantom
types to prevent the designer from building meaningless circuits
(e.g., connecting a Bool and an Int wires).

There are other such hardware design languages which profitably use
types (which ought to be popularized more). Using types can decrease
the amount of error checking in the implementation.

	I highly recommend the following _very_ good thesis on this
	Morten Rhiger
	Higher-Order Program Generation