[Haskell-cafe] haskell version of fractal benchmark

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jun 7 22:17:19 EDT 2007

clawsie:
> i recently saw a (yet-another) benchark comparing various languages:
>
> http://www.timestretch.com/FractalBenchmark.html
>
> while no haskell example was listed, i thought i would try a naive
> implementation myself for comparison. it is available here:
>
> http://www.b7j0c.org/dev/haskell/misc/time.hs
>
> my timing of the compiled code was slightly under three seconds over a
> few tests, landing sort of where i would expect a naive haskell
> implementation to place. i am sure people here could greatly improve
> my attempt. it may be that my solution is not even correct.

There's also a mandelbrot generator on the shootout,

    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=mandelbrot&lang=ghc&id=4

Some things to remember using Doubles:

    * {-# OPTIONS -fexcess-precision #-}
    * -fvia-C
    * -fbang-patterns
    * -optc-O2 -optc-mfpmath=sse -optc-msse2
    * -optc-march=pentium4

-- Don