[Haskell-cafe] Newbie Q: Monad 'fail' and 'error'

Dmitri O.Kondratiev dokondr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:29:09 EDT 2007

Thanks for excellent explanation!  Examples really help.

So, in general  'fail' behavior will differ from monad to monad.
In this example:

divBy :: Monad m => Int -> Int -> m Int
divBy a 0 = fail "div by zero"
divBy a b = return (a `div` b)

Default 'fail' implementation in Monad class will be:
*DivBy> divBy 5 0
*** Exception: user error (div by zero)

And when explicitly defining monad as Maybe it will be different:
*DivBy> divBy 5 0::Maybe Int
Nothing

I am curious if it is possible to  'cast' divBy to List, Identity, other
monads? How?