[Haskell-cafe] What puts False before True?

Brandon Michael Moore brandon at heave.ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 6 07:32:39 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 02:50:12AM +0100, PR Stanley wrote:
> >PR Stanley wrote:
> >>What do the ??? symbols represent?
> >
> >I see you are still stuck in ISO-8859-1 and
> >deprived of international characters and
> >symbols. (And this reply in ISO-8859-1 too
> >accordingly; normally I use UTF-8.) Unicode and UTF-8 FTW! :)
> oh very good, very good but forgive me, how is
> that supposed to answer my question?
> Paul

My mail reader also seems to lack proper unicode support.
I could figure out what the symbols were (and verify the
message arrived uncorrupted in UTF-8) by saving the message
and using another program. Perhaps something similar would
work for you.

The unicode-bearing paragraph of Scott Bricker's message reads

It's natural to define a partial order among sets from inclustion:
A less-than or equal to B if and only if A subset of or equal to B.
Viewing sets as predicates, the corresponding relationship between
predicates is implication. A subset of or equal to B if and only if
x element of A implies x element of B - so predicates are naturally
ordered by implication. Viewed as sets, the predicate that always
returns False is equivalent to empty set - the empty set, while
the predicate that always returns True is equivalent to U
- the universal set that contains everything (in naive set theory,
anyway - in axiomatic theories it gets a little complicated).

I replaced each unicode character with its name. I think the
result reads pretty well. There ought to be programs for this,
can anyone suggest Haskell libraries that would make one
easy to write?