[Haskell-cafe] Finding points contained within a convex hull.

Simon Brenner olsner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:24:07 EDT 2007

Do you simply want the set of coordinates, or do you want to do
something smart with the them (i.e. optimize a function value etc)?

In the first case, with a good starting point and a function that
enumerates all coordinates (by going in a spiral, perhaps), I think
this can be done in O(nm), where n = number of coordinates in the hull
and m = number of conditions to be tested for each point. But that all
depends on the number of coordinates iterated but not in the hull
being constant, i.e. the number of coordinates iterated but filtered
out of the set - I have a hunch that that you'll have to factor in the
number of dimensions somehow - it could well be O(n^dm) or something.
Oh, and you'll need a terminating condition for the coordinate
enumerator - and prove that it is correct.

The latter case is NP-complete ;-) Which might mean that what I said
above is totally wrong and is also an NP-complete problem.

Oh, and BTW, isn't any intersection of half-spaces always a convex
hull? In which case is it not?

// Simon