[Haskell-cafe] Just for a laugh...

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 14:36:53 EDT 2007

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> See also the older NewBinary,
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/NewBinary-0.1

Now that's just ironic...

Incidentally, I've been thinking. You *might* want the binary
representation of things if you were going to, say, compress or encrypt
data before putting it into a file or whatever. Actually in Java
(bleeeh) you can wrap things around a stream so that data gets
compressed and transformed between where the program writes it, and
where it hits the endpoint. Haskell doesn't have a library for this, and
I don't immediately see how to implement one. It would be darn useful to
have a standard setup for this though. That way, when somebody wants to
implement a new way to do zlib compression or a SHA-256 implementation
or... there will already be a standardised way to access the binary
representation of data without having to write it to a file.

(If any of that made sense...)?)