[Haskell-cafe] Implementing Mathematica

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 1 10:07:44 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>> Why do you seem so in awe of Mathematica?
>
> Oh, well, I guess it is only the most powerful maths software ever
> written... no biggie.
No, it is one of several.  In very little time I can find 20 things that
Maple does better than Mathematica.  In the same amount of time, I can
find 20 things that Mathematica does better than Maple.

[Actually, the most obvious is that its marketing is miles better; so
good that it makes blind evangelists out of people who have not even
tried the competitors].

>> It's just another language with a good set of libraries.  Claims that
>> it is the best, fastest, etc comes from Wolfram advertising, no
>> doubt. :)
>
> The claim that it is the fastest clearly doesn't hold (much to my
> surprise). The claim that it is the most powerful, well... I have yet
> to see anything that can come close to the symbolic power of Mathematica.
Give Maple a try.  For example, you'll find that:
1) Maple's DE solver beats Mathematica hands-down
2) Mathematica's definite integrator beats Maples hands-down
3) Maple's symbolic non-linear equation solver is best
4) Mathematica's definite summation (ie finding closed forms) is best
and on and on.  [I don't know enough about the other systems to make
similar comparison lists].

You got suckered by their marketing.  Get your head out of the sand, and
take a good look around what is available.

Jacques