[Haskell-cafe] RE: Definition of the Haskell standard library

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Tue Jul 31 12:45:46 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 05:26:31PM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | I see it as a really big deal that documentation becomes fragmented when
> | one is using many packages, so that it's harder to find what you want.
> | In fact, I'd classify that as the single biggest reason that I don't use
> | many packages now
>
> When you install packages A,B,C, the documentation for A,B,C (and
> nothing else) ought to be locally available as an integrated whole,
> much as at the GHC web site.  I don't know whether Cabal does, or
> could do, that, but it's surely what one would expect.

I don't think that would be terribly hard.  We would need to modify
Haddock with the ability to generate links following a schema like
/usr/share/doc/libghc6-$lowercasepackagename/html/$modulepath.html; this
would be fairly easy with Haddock-GHC's ability to access package names
and ghc-pkg haddock data, assuming Cabal and Haddock-GHC are fixed to
work on the same system...

Stefan