[Haskell-cafe] Re: Zippers, Random Numbers & Terrain

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:15:27 EDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Martin Lütke <prionic at gmx.de> wrote:

> It uses a chaotic function (ergodic?) that works on integers. In the case of
> Terrain it uses 2. One for the x and one for y coordinate. It should be infinite
> for Zooming out. When zooming in one uses interpolation. The drawback(?) is when
> zooming out is that it becomes more "noisy".

Typically you'd sum different 'octaves' of noise to get a function
that's approximately self-similar under scaling, that way it'd be
qualitatively similar when zooming in or out. There are many
descriptions on the web. Here's one I found:
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/texture_colour/perlin/
--
Dan