[Haskell-cafe] Indentation woes

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Jul 26 21:33:52 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 08:17:06PM -0400, anon wrote:

> but one could likewise dismiss the entire layout business as a
> needlessly complicated way to save a few keystrokes if one were so
> inclined.

The main point of layout, in my eyes, is to make code more readable.
It achieves this both by removing noise (i.e. {;}) and by forcing you to
align your code so it is clear (or at least clear/er/) what is going on.

It's also important that the rules are easily understood by programmers,
and easily implemented by Haskell implementations and tools.

The current rules aren't perfect. For example, they fail the last point.
I thought there was a Haskell' ticket about that, but I can't see it
now.

Thanks
Ian