[Haskell-cafe] Optimizing Haskell compilers

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Thu Jul 26 12:48:43 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 05:08:33PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

> I've heard that there are a plethora of Haskell compilers available. Which
> others give performance comparable to GHC?

Jhc - experimental whole program compiler.  slightly better than jhc,
      but not by much due to a lack of manpower.  in the spirit of "get
      it right, then optimize" currently takes several minutes to
      compile 10-line programs. :)

Hbc - The haskell compiler.  Augustsson and Johnsson's pioneering work
      on compiling lazy languages is embodied in hbc, a direct
      descendant of the Lazy ML compiler.  Generally ~30% slower than
      GHC, and occasionally faster - rather suprising for a compiler
      that hasn't been improved in over a decade.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/nobench/x86_64/results.html

Stefan