[Haskell-cafe] Re: advantages of using fix to define rcursive functions

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 26 04:07:14 EDT 2007

Harald ROTTER <harald.rotter at sagem.com> wrote in article <OF3656BB9D.1068F611-ONC1257324.0027EE2F-C1257324.0028775E at sagem.com> in gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe:
> I read about the usage of "fix" to define recursive functions. Although I
> think that I understood how to use "fix", I still wonder what the
> advantages of "fix" are (as compared to the "conventional" approach to
> define recursive functions).

You might enjoy this paper:

Bruce J. McAdam, 1997. That about wraps it up: Using FIX to handle
errors without exceptions, and other programming tricks. Tech. Rep.
ECS-LFCS-97-375, Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science,
Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh.
http://www.lfcs.informatics.ed.ac.uk/reports/97/ECS-LFCS-97-375/

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.