[Haskell-cafe] i need wxHaskell compiled for ghc 6.6.1 on Windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 10:09:44 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 14:58 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > There's really no such thing as Windows native controls any more, at
> > least not ones that any apps actually use. You'll note that Internet
> > Explorer, MS Office and VisualStudio all paint their own custom control
> > set that are similar but not exactly the same as the native controls (eg
> > those used by NotePad/WordPad).
>
> But the native controls are a lot nicer. The fact that MS Office, IE
> and VS are all annoying doesn't meant that Haskell developers should
> be excluded from writing non-annoying user interfaces.

Sure :-)

> > Gtk+ uses themes too, and on Windows it uses a Windows theme. This uses
> > the native WinXP themeing dll.
>
> Either 1) it does, but very very badly, or 2) it doesn't. Even the
> ones that look similar are not quite right. It is getting better
> though, but I'm not sure they are using the theme DLL (purely from the
> results, I have no idea what the code says)

I think it uses it mainly when you're using the TellyTubbies WinXP
themes. It also uses it for colours etc.

> > Yes, that's what we're addressing in the current dev cycle, making more
> > extensive use of properties and removing the duplication between the
> > properties and the direct set/get calls.
>
> :( - please let the set/get calls remain, since the properties are
> likely to only be available with non-H98 types. My PropLang wrapper
> also has to use set/get directly.

The current plan is to mark them as deprecated and remove them from the
haddock documentation but not to remove them completely yet.

The properties themselves do not have non-H98 types, but the current set
function uses existential types. We could provide a simpler version of
set that doesn't have the nice syntax and uses H98 types.

Duncan