[Haskell-cafe] i need wxHaskell compiled for ghc 6.6.1 on Windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 09:54:13 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 16:57 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Duncan,
>
> Monday, July 23, 2007, 4:02:42 AM, you wrote:
> >> i've taken a look at gtk2hs, but 2 reasons forced me to give wxHaskell
> >> a try:
> >>
> >> - native appearance
>
> > I think that's pretty good these days, the native theme on Windows has
> > been getting better and better from Gtk+ 2.6 to the current 2.10
>
> it's good and i don't complain about its quality. what i mean here is
> just what it looks like Unix apps, not like native windows ones.
> afaiu, GTK paints all controls itself without using native controls
> and therefore controls look at Windows just the same as in Unix

There's really no such thing as Windows native controls any more, at
least not ones that any apps actually use. You'll note that Internet
Explorer, MS Office and VisualStudio all paint their own custom control
set that are similar but not exactly the same as the native controls (eg
those used by NotePad/WordPad).

Gtk+ uses themes too, and on Windows it uses a Windows theme. This uses
the native WinXP themeing dll. It's possible to use any of the Unix
themes on windows, but nobody would ever want to do that. As noted
before, the differences between the Gtk+ Windows theme and the common
'native' windows control sets have been getting less and less with each
recent release of Gtk+.

> >> - current lack of high-level properties machinery in gtk2hs
>
> > Actually Gtk2Hs and wxHaskell have a very similar properties api (they
> > both stole it off of an older Haskell GUI lib) and we're planning to
> > make further improvements to that in the current development cycle.
>
> yes, there is API but as far as i see, it's not yet fully implemented
> for each type of control. for example, in TreeDemo.hs and DirList.hs
> examples there are lots of handmade calls - compare them to
> FileBrowse.hs wxHaskell example (although i may be unfair here, but it
> seems that wxHaskell example uses properties more extensively)

Yes, that's what we're addressing in the current dev cycle, making more
extensive use of properties and removing the duplication between the
properties and the direct set/get calls.

Duncan