[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] View patterns in GHC: Request forfeedback

Jonathan Cast jcast at ou.edu
Mon Jul 23 15:10:15 EDT 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007, Rene de Visser wrote:
> >> Simon PJ and I are implementing view patterns, a way of pattern matching
> >> against abstract datatypes, in GHC.  Our design is described here:
> >>
> >> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ViewPatterns
> >>
> >> If you have any comments or suggestions about this design, we'd love to
> >> hear them.  You can respond to this list (and we can take it to
> >> haskell-cafe if the thread gets long) or, if you prefer, directly to me.
>
> I find the => operator excessive.

I want to voice my complete agreement.  At least -> is already a binding
operator in GHC, with semantics analogous to those being introduced; since
when is => a binding operator?  Thus far, neither => nor <= has been used for
anything of the sort, so it's an entirely new entry in the semantic space ---
and => /is/ already a keyword in GHC, which makes it worse.

<snip>

Jonathan Cast
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fid-core
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fid-emacs