[Haskell-cafe] Is this haskelly enough?

ok ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jul 19 00:54:39 EDT 2007

On 18 Jul 2007, at 8:52 pm, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> Well, the original poster wanted advice on how to improve his
> Haskell style, not algorithmic complexity. I think that the
> appropriate response to that is to show different ways to write the
> same program in idiomatic Haskell.

(a) I gave some of that; I wrote my solution before seeing anyone
     else's.
(b) I find it hard to imagine a state of mind in which algorithmic
     complexity is seen as irrelevant to style.  I am reminded of the
     bad old days when Quintus had customers who were infuriated
     because writing an exponential-time algorithm in a few lines of
     Prolog didn't mean it ran fast on large examples.  Their code
     was short, so it HAD to be good code, which meant the slowness
     had to be our fault.  Not so!
(c) The key point in my posting was the reference to Gries' paper,
     in which he derives an imperative program in Dijkstra's notation
     USING A CALCULATIONAL STYLE, very like the bananas-lenses-and-
     barbed wire stuff popular in some parts of the functional
     community.