[Haskell-cafe] Re: Frustrating experience of a wannabe contributor

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Wed Jul 18 16:32:54 EDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:00:20 -0700, you wrote:

>You can even post via gmane.
>
>Tip: for more powerful searching, use Thunderbird + gmane's NNTP interface.

I think people are missing the original poster's point. He's not looking
for alternative ways to get from A to B; he's pointing out that a
typical approach that one might try to get from A to B is broken.

As an aside, this seems to be a prevalent issue, particularly with
non-commercial technically-oriented communities. When a newcomer says,
"Hey, I tried this [intuitively obvious] way to do something, and it
didn't work," the welcoming response is NOT, "Oh, don't do that; do this
other [less intuitive] thing instead." The welcoming response is to fix
the damn thing so that the intuitive approach works!

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/