[Haskell-cafe] Re: Is this haskelly enough?

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Jul 18 04:38:13 EDT 2007

Johan Tibell wrote:
> I found myself wanting a map that looks at neighboring elements. This is
> where I used explicit recursion the most. Something like this:
>
> f [] = []
> f ((Foo a) : (Bar b) : xs)
>   | fooBar a b = Foo a : f xs
>   | otherwise = Bar b : f xs
>
> This is almost a map. A variation is when filtering and you want some
> look-ahead to make the filtering decision. There's probably a good way
> to do this I'm not aware of.

There are some cases missing, like

  f [x] = ??
  f (Bar a : Foo b : xs) = ??

A better example is probably

  takeUntilConvergence epsilon (x:x':xs)
    | abs (x-x') < epsilon = [x]
    | otherwise            = x:takeUntilConvergence epsilon (x':xs)

useful for numeric iterations like

   sqrt a = last $ takeUntilConvergence (1e-10)
          $ iterate (\x -> (x+a/x)/2) 1

Another way to implement  takeUntilConvergence  is to  zip  the list
with its tail:

 takeUntilConvergence epsilon xs =
   fst . head . dropUntil ((< epsilon) . snd)
   $ zipWith (\x x' -> (x,abs(x-x')) xs (tail xs)

Regards,
apfelmus