[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 12:13:49 EDT 2007

Hello Malcolm,

Monday, July 16, 2007, 4:52:01 PM, you wrote:

> After all, we would expect the same attributes (intelligence and
> training) from a neurosurgeon, a nuclear scientist, or someone who
> calculates how to land a person on the moon.  Programming computers may
> not seem very skilled to most people, but maybe that is simply because
> we are so familiar with it being done so badly.

are you ever tried, for example, programming GUI applications using
WinAPI directly? it required serious skills but i don't think that we
lose too much with all the modern RAD tools

otoh, i don't think that Haskell by itself is too complex. i seen the
same complaints in the early GUI era, early OOP era. Haskell and
functional programming in whole just need to have larger teaching
base: courses, books and so on. and PhDs will always find some tricky
ideas just to prove that they are smarter than other people ;)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com