[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell shootout game

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 06:04:20 EDT 2007

apfelmus wrote:
> Hugh Perkins wrote:
>> Had an idea: a real shootout game for Haskell.
>>
>> scripts "fight" in an arena for a second or so, and the results are
>> published to the website
>
> Sounds great :)
>
> There are lots of "robot battle" games out there, like
>
>   http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.net/
>   http://robocode.sourceforge.net
>
> but none in Haskell, of course. I think there's a classic predecessor to
> those but I don't know exactly.

I suspect they are probably viewed as 'descendants' in a weak sense from
Core War, which in turn was inspired by Darwin. However these two, since
the act more 'directly' in the memory space of a virtual CPU are quite
different in character.

I can't substantiate that suspicion with any evidence, though.

Either way it would be a fun thing for someone to write for haskell.

Jules