[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 15 14:26:28 EDT 2007

Derek Elkins wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 18:47 +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> I could have sworn I heard somewhere that the debugger would be in GHC
>> 6.6.1... but, apparently, I am mistaken. I have no idea which version it
>> *is* going to be in... (Presumably the next one.)
>>

> On the very page I linked is a link labelled "The GHCi Debugger".
> Clicking on it you get "The debugger is currently available in GHC 6.7"
>
> Similarly for parallel arrays

Doh! I didn't scroll all the way down. :-(

(I guess it's habit. I go to the Haskell home page, nagivate to the page
you linked, and click the user manual. It's how I get to the user manual
when I want to look up obscure GHC flags...)

> There is no version of bytestrings without stream fusion and there never
> was.  Bytestrings have no compiler support, it is just a library.

I realise it's a library - but it would be possible to implement it
without adding the RULE section at the bottom. And indeed, the way the
paper compares performance with and without rules turned on made me
wonder whether the guys implemented this thing, saw "hey, that's much
faster than [Char]", and then later came back and said "hey, we could
use RULES to make this faster still!" Apparently that's not the case,
but I didn't know that...