[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 15 10:02:13 EDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 0:47 , Jonathan Cast wrote:

> Usenet is a giant network of NNTP servers (and UUCP servers before
> that...)
> that ISPs (and various Unix sites before that) maintained at one
> time (most
> seem to have given up on it now), with thousands of general-purpose
> newsgroups that at one time were the premier online community.

I'll just point out that NNTP is a *terrible* protocol for news
*readers*; it was originally designed to facilitate linking
individual news servers.  (The various modern NNTP implementations
tend to detect readers and switch to a lower overhead NNTP
implementation which also restricts some things to keep readers from
taking up too much overhead.)

Somewhat ironically given the origin of this thread, CMU's solution
was to gateway NNTP to IMAP and require readers to use IMAP clients
to read the resulting "bboards".

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu