[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:22:48 EDT 2007

On 15/07/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> > Oh! Much faster. Looks like Haskell is 100x faster than C#.
> > Who gets fired? :)

Well, you've switched back to using unsafe operations there, Donald ;-)

Anyway, before you guys get too narked at me ;-) I'd just like to say that
I'm very impressed by the work that is going on in Haskell.  I wouldnt be
here otherwise.  Haskell stands a very good chance of solving one of the
great unsolved issues at this time, which is: managing threading.

Just dont want you guys to get too complacent ;-) Running benchmarks against
Java and so on is much more motivational than running against g++, because
you can no longer say "oh well Java is faster because it doesnt have a GC!",
because clearly it does; and bounds-checking, and many other useful goodies
besides.

So keep up the good work.  I'm quite happy for my tax dollars to be being
spent on Haskell research :-) and I'm really looking forward to seeing what
comes out of it.