[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 08:02:22 EDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> In this case it is fine. You're setting bits in the cache. Please use the
> same algorithm, or any conclusions are meaningless.

No, I'm counting prime numbers.  Somewhat faster it seems ;-)

Let's put this into the real world a moment.  You get a job, or you're at
your job, you spend several weeks writing some super-dooper program, telling
everyone how awesome it is because it's Haskell and it's l33t!

You run it, and it takes 24 hours to run.  It's ok, it's Haskell.

Some guy with long hair and no degree comes along, and rewrites your code in
C#.  Takes him like 30 minutes because he doesnt have to optimize it, it's
done automatically.

His program runs in 25 minutes (60 times faster, see the benchmarks above to
note that this is realistic).

Guess who gets fired?