[Haskell-cafe] Re: Type system madness

Samuel J.J.Bronson naesten at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:21:55 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin <at> btinternet.com> writes:

> I continue to be surprised at the things that don't seem to be on the
> Wiki... Google is typically no help at all with anything
> Haskell-related, because Haskell is so completely obscure. The various
> haddoc documentation is also frustratingly sparse in places. (E.g.,
> Control.Concurrent.STM.TVar contains *nothing* but terse type
> signatures. And concurrent programming is already a tricky thing to get
> right.) Some things seem to be "well known" yet not actually written
> down anywhere - e.g., the finer points of using "seq" to make stuff go
> faster.

Hmm, given the apparant scarcity of information on the new wiki I'm not sure if
this is relevant or not, but for some time we had the entire wiki blacklisted in
robots.txt because some broken bot was trying to pull O(n^2) (where n is the
number of revisions of a page) diffs per page... anyay, this kept it from being
indexed by Google and so forth. Eventually we discovered that if we added a
single question mark to robots.txt, we could blacklist page history (and diffs)
without blacklisting actual pages.