[Haskell-cafe] problem with IO, strictness, and "let"

Michael Vanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 13 20:20:05 EDT 2007

Stefan,

Thanks for your comments, as always.

What I meant by really-truly-absolutely-I-mean-right-now-seq is something that would evaluate its
argument as far as it is possible to do so i.e. something that forces strict evaluation of an
argument.  That's what I thought seq did, but now I see I was wrong; it only "goes one deep" as it
were.  In fact, as you say, seq is not defined in terms of evaluation; all that it guarantees is
that its first argument is either (a) bottom, in which the result of the entire seq is bottom, or
(b) not bottom.  To do so it has to evaluate the first argument only far enough to show bottom-ness
or not, which is not strict evaluation as I understand it.  So am I right in saying that Haskell has
no way to force strict evaluation?  Or am I confused as to the correct definition of "strict"?

Mike